Fig and Ginger Cookies
These yummy cookies can be vegan, sugar and gluten free. The recipe makes 12.
250g rolled oats
100g flour (wholemeal or buckwheat)
½ cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped dried figs
200ml warm water
1/2tsp baking powder
3 tbsp honey or sweetener of choice
2 inch knob grated ginger (if you like it zingy add a little extra!)
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cardamom
250g dark chocolate
2-3tbsp *soy or rice milk (water can also be used)
100g crushed walnut pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C and lightly oil a baking tray
- Combine all dry ingredients. Melt honey in the warm water and add to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Mix well.
- Drop large tablespoon sized amounts onto the baking tray. Lightly press down with a fork and then cook in oven for 12-15mins.
- Once cooked, allow cookies to stand on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile heat hot water in a saucepan, place a metal or glass bowl over the saucepan and add the chocolate. Allow it to melt but be careful not to burn the chocolate. As the chocolate melts add the soy milk* and stir, creating a thick smooth paste.
- When cookies are cool lay them out on baking paper and drizzle chocolate syrup over the top and sprinkle with walnut pieces.
- Refrigerate till chocolate is set.
- Before serving add the final touch of shredded coconut.