- This event has passed.
Yoga Nidra & Restorative Practices Teacher Training
Friday 17 February, 2023 - Sunday 05 March, 2023
In-person 16 day residential at Anahata Yoga Retreat, Golden Bay, New Zealand. Followed by a 3-month online training package. A total of 150 hours covering theory, applications & learning to instruct Yoga Nidra, Basic Breathing Methods & Restorative Yoga. All-inclusive of training sessions, a comprehensive manual, online content, food & accommodation.
A professional development course for yoga teachers, health and education professionals and those interested in guiding relaxation techniques. Explore tools to assist in the release of deep muscular, mental and emotional tension, inducing calmness and clarity for a range of life and health situations.
Yoga Nidra, Restorative Yoga and breathing techniques will be explored from practical, scientific, psychological and lifestyle perspectives. Learn teaching tools to effectively share a range of relaxation practices for differing client needs, including therapeutic applications.
Delve into each stage of Yoga Nidra including history, symbology and use of sankalpa or positive intention. Investigate the relaxation response, the Vagus Nerve, building resilience, sleep hygiene , diaphragmatic breath, pratyahara and relevant yogic theory, mindfulness, props, principles of care, creative teaching, course and class planning, client support and so much more!
Yoga Nidra is a profound, yet simple, practice that encourages the mind to let go of the external world and turn inwards, giving the senses a deep rest from the activities of contemporary society. The mind is gradually trained to connect into tranquility effortlessly. Ultimately the practice works on the mind to release impressions from the past and anxieties about the future. It helps us to retrain the nervous system and create new neural pathways that support the relaxation response. Yoga Nidra is a powerful tool to enable the parasympathetic nervous system and enhance deep sleep, thus supporting health and well-being at many levels.=
When we have the ability to alter the breath at will, we are nourishing and optimising many bodily functions while managing the mind and emotions. Different basic breathing methods will be explored with the aim of developing the diaphragmatic breath, which is one of the fastest ways to influence the vagus nerve, responsible for turning on the relaxation response in order to help the body restore itself after states of stress. It is also an important factor in healthy digestion, influencing gut health, the microbiome connected to the immune system and important neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
Restorative Yoga will be explored using the Pawanmuktasana Joint series, which brings both the body and mind into a harmonious state, supporting the flow of prana in the system and restoration. Other postures specific to supporting the relaxation response will also be examined in relation to adrenal glands, breath connection and mindfulness. We will also delve into a more classical understanding of Restorative Yoga, regarding props and extended time periods in supported postures. Restorative Yoga has been shown to support the dismantling of chronic tension patterns, enhanced immune function and effective cellular respiration. It has also proven to reduce hypertension and mental and emotional stress to facilitate more homeostasis in the body-mind structure, returning it to a natural state of ease and equilibrium.
Request an info booklet: email@example.com
This Training is Designed for…
- Yoga Practitioners who want to delve deeper in their personal practice and learn how to manage stress effectively.
- Yoga Teachers who want to develop new skills and deepen their understanding of yogic concepts and lifestyle.
- Health Professionals who are looking for effective tools to support clients.
Medical and health professionals, psychiatrists, psychotherapists and yoga teachers are using these practices in a variety of settings including schools, offices, community centres, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, prisons and nursing homes. They may be effective in the management of:
- Stress, Anxiety, Insomnia & Depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease
- Respiratory conditions
- Neurological conditions and motor impairments
- Chronic fatigue and adrenal issues
- Digestive Issues
- Asthma and Diabetes
The Programme Includes
16 days onsite, shared accommodation (unless camping), all meals and the full programme, followed by a 3-month training package with course work including MP3 practice undertaken at home.
- Daily Yoga Nidra, Restorative Yoga and Breathing practices
- Understanding the techniques of Yoga Nidra, Diaphragmatic Breathing & Restorative Yoga from a practical and theoretical point of view
- The science behind the techniques; relaxation response, the nervous system, the Vagus nerve, brain plasticity, the breathing organs and more
- Exploration of building resilience, better sleep patterns, the adrenal glands and more
- Immersion into the yoga lifestyle
- Self-reflection tools
- Teaching Theory, including class and course planning, teaching to different needs, contra-indications, client support, teaching practical’s, use of voice and much more.
- SWAN practice
- Fire Ceremony (Havan) and Chanting (healing sound vibration)
- The opportunity to develop your inner awareness, train the mind and bring balance to the nervous system
- Mentored teaching practice
- Audio files, PowerPoints, resources, videos and other inspiring content for your personal practice
- Student manual
- A certificate of completion at the end of the training from Anahata Yoga Retreat
- 150 accredited hours with Yoga New Zealand
- 150 continuing education credits can be sought from Yoga Alliance, Yoga Australia, and Satyananda Yoga Teachers Association
This training is Module 1 of our 300-hour Relaxation and Meditation Teacher Training (Intermediate to Advanced)
Module 1: Yoga Nidra & Restorative Practices (150 hours)
Module 2: Meditation and Pranayama (150 hours)
Students can take one or both of the modules, and are not required to have taken Module 1 to take Module 2. However, taking both modules in order is the best way to get the most out of the training, as Module 1 covers educational prerequisites that will be further expanded upon in Module 2. Book both modules at the same time, and receive a 10% discount.
Yoga New Zealand Accreditation Information
Both modules are fully accredited with Yoga New Zealand. Please note that they are NOT general 200 hour Teacher Training courses, but rather continuing education courses. For students who already have their 200 RYT, taking one module will raise the student to the 350-hour education level and taking both modules will raise the student to the 500-hour level. If you have any questions about accreditation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard Price: NZD $3327.00
Camping Price: NZD $3167.00
Early-Bird Price (if full payment made by January 17th 2023): NZD $2994.30
Yoga Nidra Foundations Discount: 15% off*
* if you have completed our Yoga Nidra Foundations online course, then you are eligible to receive a 15% discount, which can be used in conjunction with the Early-Bird price.
Scholarship: 50% off. Please contact us if you wish to apply.
Book both modules of our 300-hour Relaxation and Meditation Teacher Training (Intermediate to Advanced) at the same time, and receive a 10% discount.
We also have Summer Internship Packages available. Please contact us for more information.
For more information and to BOOK NOW please email us.
To view scheduled flights from Wellington to Golden Bay, visit the Golden Bay Air website here.
- Sauna and healing treatments are available. Please contact us to book an appointment in advance.
- Camping: Tent hire is available for an additional cost of NZD $30. If interested in hiring a tent, please enquire with us at the time of booking as we have a limited amount available.
- Private Sessions: Private yoga training, consultations and yogic cleansing practices with Swami Karma Karuna are offered online and in-person by appointment. Click here to find out more
To book now and to request any extras, please email us.
Swami Karma Karuna, lead trainer, is a senior teacher of Yoga NZ, Yoga Australia, IAYT Yoga Therapist, Yoga Alliance E-RYT 500 and YACEP registered. She offers 30 years of expertise delivered in a multi-faceted way using lectures, PowerPoints, practical experience, group exercises, personal reflection, teaching practice, readings, latest research, case studies and guided practices to take away.
Guest teacher, Norina Merkabah is a certified and registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 500) with Yoga Alliance U.S. She completed over 600 hours of teacher training herself and holds a diploma in Dance Movement Therapy. Her main focus are yoga teacher trainings.
Over the past 3 years she managed Kawai Purapura Yoga School in Auckland and has been involved on yoga teacher trainings as a teacher. Norina specialises in traditional Hatha Yoga, Yoga Nidra, Yin Yoga and is passionate about Mantra and Kirtan. She teaches private and community classes, online and in person. Norina also works as an artist and singer-songwriter.
She says about her teaching: “I love guiding students through their process of transformation, using traditional Yogic tools. As a teacher I am passionate about sharing tools to manage one’s wellbeing with people. I truly believe that Yoga is for every body.”
- QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
Traditional Hatha Yoga Teacher training with Sannyasi Pragyadhara, Auckland
- Yoga Nidra & Restorative Yoga training with Swami Karma Karuna, Auckland
- Traditional Hatha Yoga course with Swami Niranjanananda, Bihar School of Yoga, India
- Yin Yoga Teacher training with Nikolas Robson, Yin Culture, Golden Bay
- Tantrik Hatha training with Amy Bassett, Auckland
- Diploma in Dance Movement Therapy, Auckland
- Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education, Zurich, Switzerland
WAYS TO CONNECT WITH NORINA:
For an overview of Yoga Nidra, check out our Introduction to Yoga Nidra Infograph Blog. Read more about the benefits of Yoga Nidra in our blog – Five Ways Yoga Nidra Can Transform Your World or our Restorative Yoga Blog 10 ways Restorative Yoga can heal you.
Read about Resident Devpriya’s life changing experience on the November Teacher Training in her article – From Panic to Peace – How Yoga Nidra Changed my Life.
Learn about The Power of Yoga Nidra in Crisis and how it can help you face the unexpected challenges of life before, during and after.
Listen to Anahata teacher Swami Karma Karuna’s interview with Gina Sager on the usefulness of Yoga Nidra when in a state of modern dis-ease.
Or read more about why these practices are so vital in our Blog about The Importance of Restorative Yoga
Explore Other Gatherings
Koha/Donation Online Yoga Classes
Sunday 27 December, 2020 @ 8:00 am - Friday 01 December, 2023 @ 5:00 pm
Integral Yoga & Mindfulness Programme for PTSD
With: Sannyasi Priyadhara
Friday 01 April, 2022 - Saturday 01 April, 2023
Developing Resilience Online Course
With: Swami Karma Karuna
Friday 01 July, 2022 - Monday 01 July, 2024