Yoga Nidra & Restorative Yoga Teacher Training
Friday 06 January, 2023 - Sunday 22 January, 2023
In-person 16 day residential at Anahata Yoga Retreat, Golden Bay, New Zealand. Followed by a 3-month online training package. A total of 150 hours covering theory, applications & learning to instruct Yoga Nidra, Basic Breathing Methods & Restorative Yoga. All-inclusive of training sessions, a comprehensive manual, online content, food & accommodation.
A professional development course for yoga teachers, health and education professionals and those interested in guiding relaxation techniques. Explore tools to assist in the release of deep muscular, mental and emotional tension, inducing calmness and clarity for a range of life and health situations.
Yoga Nidra, Restorative Yoga and breathing techniques will be explored from practical, scientific, psychological and lifestyle perspectives. Learn teaching tools to effectively share a range of relaxation practices for differing client needs, including therapeutic applications.
Delve into each stage of Yoga Nidra including history, symbology and use of sankalpa or positive intention. Investigate the relaxation response, the Vagus Nerve, building resilience, sleep hygiene , diaphragmatic breath, pratyahara and relevant yogic theory, mindfulness, props, principles of care, creative teaching, course and class planning, client support and so much more!
Yoga Nidra is a profound, yet simple, practice that encourages the mind to let go of the external world and turn inwards, giving the senses a deep rest from the activities of contemporary society. The mind is gradually trained to connect into tranquility effortlessly. Ultimately the practice works on the mind to release impressions from the past and anxieties about the future. It helps us to retrain the nervous system and create new neural pathways that support the relaxation response. Yoga Nidra is a powerful tool to enable the parasympathetic nervous system and enhance deep sleep, thus supporting health and well-being at many levels.=
When we have the ability to alter the breath at will, we are nourishing and optimising many bodily functions while managing the mind and emotions. Different basic breathing methods will be explored with the aim of developing the diaphragmatic breath, which is one of the fastest ways to influence the vagus nerve, responsible for turning on the relaxation response in order to help the body restore itself after states of stress. It is also an important factor in healthy digestion, influencing gut health, the microbiome connected to the immune system and important neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
Restorative Yoga will be explored using the Pawanmuktasana Joint series, which brings both the body and mind into a harmonious state, supporting the flow of prana in the system and restoration. Other postures specific to supporting the relaxation response will also be examined in relation to adrenal glands, breath connection and mindfulness. We will also delve into a more classical understanding of Restorative Yoga, regarding props and extended time periods in supported postures. Restorative Yoga has been shown to support the dismantling of chronic tension patterns, enhanced immune function and effective cellular respiration. It has also proven to reduce hypertension and mental and emotional stress to facilitate more homeostasis in the body-mind structure, returning it to a natural state of ease and equilibrium.
Request an info booklet: email@example.com
This Training is Designed for…
- Yoga Practitioners who want to delve deeper in their personal practice and learn how to manage stress effectively.
- Yoga Teachers who want to develop new skills and deepen their understanding of yogic concepts and lifestyle.
- Health Professionals who are looking for effective tools to support clients.
Medical and health professionals, psychiatrists, psychotherapists and yoga teachers are using these practices in a variety of settings including schools, offices, community centres, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, prisons and nursing homes. They may be effective in the management of:
- Stress, Anxiety, Insomnia & Depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease
- Respiratory conditions
- Neurological conditions and motor impairments
- Chronic fatigue and adrenal issues
- Digestive Issues
- Asthma and Diabetes
The Programme Includes
16 days onsite, shared accommodation (unless camping), all meals and the full programme, followed by a 3-month training package with course work including MP3 practice undertaken at home.
- Daily Yoga Nidra, Restorative Yoga and Breathing practices
- Understanding the techniques of Yoga Nidra, Diaphragmatic Breathing & Restorative Yoga from a practical and theoretical point of view
- The science behind the techniques; relaxation response, the nervous system, the Vagus nerve, brain plasticity, the breathing organs and more
- Exploration of building resilience, better sleep patterns, the adrenal glands and more
- Immersion into the yoga lifestyle
- Self-reflection tools
- Teaching Theory, including class and course planning, teaching to different needs, contra-indications, client support, teaching practical’s, use of voice and much more.
- SWAN practice
- Fire Ceremony (Havan) and Chanting (healing sound vibration)
- The opportunity to develop your inner awareness, train the mind and bring balance to the nervous system
- Mentored teaching practice
- Audio files, PowerPoints, resources, videos and other inspiring content for your personal practice
- Student manual
- A certificate of completion at the end of the training from Anahata Yoga Retreat
- 150 ‘Continuing Education’ hours with Yoga Alliance U.S. Registered Yoga Teachers which can be added to your profile
- Yoga Australia and Satyananda Yoga Teachers Association Continuing Education credits.
Standard Price: TBC
Camping Price: TBC
Early-Bird Price (if full payment made by December 7th 2022): TBC
Yoga Nidra Foundations Discount: 15% off*
* if you have completed our Yoga Nidra Foundations online course, then you are eligible to receive a 15% discount, which can be used in conjunction with the Early-Bird price.
For more information and to BOOK NOW please email us.
To view scheduled flights from Wellington to Golden Bay, visit the Golden Bay Air website here.
- Sauna and healing treatments are available. Please contact us to book an appointment in advance.
- Camping: Tent hire is available for an additional cost of NZD $30. If interested in hiring a tent, please enquire with us at the time of booking as we have a limited amount available.
- Private Sessions: Private yoga training, consultations and yogic cleansing practices with Swami Karma Karuna are offered online and in-person by appointment. Click here to find out more
To book now and to request any extras, please email us.
Swami Karma Karuna, lead trainer, is a senior teacher of Yoga NZ, Yoga Australia, IAYT Yoga Therapist, Yoga Alliance E-RYT 500 and YACEP registered. She offers years of expertise delivered in a multi-faceted way using lectures, PowerPoints, practical experience, group exercises, personal reflection, teaching practice, readings, latest research, case studies and guided practices to take away.
For an overview of Yoga Nidra, check out our Introduction to Yoga Nidra Infograph Blog. Read more about the benefits of Yoga Nidra in our blog – Five Ways Yoga Nidra Can Transform Your World or our Restorative Yoga Blog 10 ways Restorative Yoga can heal you.
Read about Resident Devpriya’s life changing experience on the November Teacher Training in her article – From Panic to Peace – How Yoga Nidra Changed my Life.
Learn about The Power of Yoga Nidra in Crisis and how it can help you face the unexpected challenges of life before, during and after.
Listen to Anahata teacher Swami Karma Karuna’s interview with Gina Sager on the usefulness of Yoga Nidra when in a state of modern dis-ease.
Or read more about why these practices are so vital in our Blog about The Importance of Restorative Yoga
Explore Other Gatherings
Sunday 27 December, 2020 @ 8:00 am - Friday 01 December, 2023 @ 5:00 pm
With: Anahata Specialist Teachers
Saturday 30 October, 2021 - Saturday 29 October, 2022